Ofgem gives green light to Project Nemo

Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest news and business opportunities in your inbox
Ofgem gives green light to Project Nemo

Ofgem has announced its final decision on the financing and regulatory regime for Nemo Link, an interconnector which, on completion in 2019, will bring an additional 1 GW electricity capacity to Great Britain.

The final decision on proceeding with the project is now with the developers. The total cost of the project is expected to be £500 million (US$784.7 million).

Nemo will run between Zeebrugge in Belgium and Richborough in Kent and will allow energy trades and flows between the two markets, increasing access to energy generation and making energy supplies more secure and resilient for consumers.

Nemo is expected to be the first interconnector built under the cap and floor regime, which has been developed by Ofgem in partnership with the Belgian energy regulator, CREG. The goal of the cap and floor regime is to encourage new investment in interconnector projects that will deliver good value for consumers.

For Project Nemo, the annual revenue floor has been set at £50.4 million over the 25 year duration of the regime; and the annual revenue cap at £80 million. These levels reflect Ofgem’s view of efficient construction costs and return on capital. They will be adjusted following a final assessment of costs post-construction.

The project partners are National Grid Nemo Link Limited, which is part of National Grid Plc, a major UK company which owns and manages gas and electricity infrastructure in the UK and in the north eastern US, and Elia, which is the Belgium’s transmission system operator, operating over 8,000 km of lines and underground cables throughout Belgium.

Dermot Nolan, Ofgem chief executive said:

“Today’s announcement is good news for consumers. Our cap and floor regime has already attracted interest from other potential projects, and looks set to be an effective gateway to new investment that will make energy supplies more secure and increase competition in the market, to the ultimate benefit of households and businesses.”

Secretary of State, Ed Davey, said:

“This is a major landmark in our ambition to greatly increase interconnection with our neighbours, to improve our energy security and lower bills. By linking us to Belgium, Project Nemo will enable enough electricity to flow between our countries to power up to three million homes. The new cap and floor regime will unlock billions of pounds of investment in interconnectors, and I expect more projects to come forward next year.”

Nemo Link was granted a permit to lay the offshore electricity cables in Belgian territorial waters by the Federal Secretary of State of Energy on 20th May 2014. The environmental permit for these cables was approved by the Federal Minister of the North Sea on 20th March 2014.

List of country news

Country news

  • March 03, 2015

    GB and Belgium sign JV agreement for electricity interconnector

    UK National Grid and Elia, the Belgian electricity transmission system operator, signed last week a joint venture agreement to move ahead with the Nemo Link – the first electricity interconnector between the two countries. Read more
  • June 10, 2015

    NEMO LINK announces €500 million contracts to build the first interconnector between GB and Belgium

    NEMO LINK has announced Siemens and J-Power Systems, the Japan-based subsidiary of the Sumitomo Corporation, as the two winning contractors who will build the first interconnector between GB and Belgium. Read more
  • July 23, 2015

    EIB financing sought for Belgian offshore wind farm

    The European Investment Bank (EIB) has announced that it would financially back the 165 MW Nobelwind offshore wind project in Belgium. Read more

Share this news

Join us

In order to get full access to News section, you must have a full subscription. You can check all the benefits of becoming a member and purchase a subscription on our membership page.